Thursday, July 27, 2017

Future Farmhouse

I'm back! As promised, I will be sharing our plans for our future farmhouse. The 'farmhouse' style has really taken off these past few years, but the truth is, it has always been my style. I love the rustic features finished off with class. I love the comfortable feel. I love mixing different woods and metals. Everything about this style makes me feel at home. 

This is the house plan that we took to our architect. The pictures posted are also from the same website (Architectural Designs) We made several changes. I'm not sure if I have permission to share our actual plan, but I will point out the changes we made.



If I were hosting Fixer Upper right now, I would call this the pocket door house. LOL! We added around 8. I can't remember the exact number at the moment, but that sounds correct. All of the bedroom closets, the pantry, laundry room and going into the master bathroom. I really wanted to have a barn door somewhere in the house, but not sure yet if that will happen.

Starting left to right, we moved the flex space (which will be our playroom) to the back of the house behind bedroom 3. The bathroom in the hall is now in the center of the 2 bedrooms and will become a jack and jill bathroom. My son's room is bedroom 3 which will be next door to the playroom. I have a feeling we may catch him in there in the middle of the night playing games. Bedroom 2 will be a dedicated guest room. 

Nothing much was changed in the living area, but the 2 french doors going onto the porch will now become one door and will be accessed from the breakfast area. The kitchen didn't change much at all either. I am already in LOVE with that pantry! I mean can you picture 11-4 x 5-0. I will be in heaven! It really is the little things folks. 

Moving into the laundry and mudroom area. We definitely made changes in this area. I don't know about y'all, but we never use our front door. We always come in from the garage so we wanted to make sure we got this area right or as my husband would say 'tight'. We cut some of the space out of the laundry room to make a 1/2 bath and a bench area to hang coats, hats, book bags, and to take off shoes. Our architect designed that area for us. The 1/2 bath and laundry will be in separate areas. 

Lastly the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet. We closed off the opening from the closet to the laundry room so that is now a wall.  Several changes were made in the bathroom as well.  We opened up the toilet area and now it will be a 1/2 wall. Regardless if we left it as a toilet closet or not, I will NOT be in the same room as someone that is "doing their business". Can I hear an AMEN?! Taking out that area gave us more room for a larger shower. 

These are our plans for now. I say for now because I know as the building progresses there may be things that have to be revised or changes that we may have overlooked. 


Here ya go. The outside of our house will be similar to this. We made changes to this as well. Starting with the columns in the front.  We removed the 2 on the end. I would like to have natural wood columns all the way down. No brick or stone. 

We also removed 2 of the windows. The one on the end is in a closet and we really didn't want a window in a closet. The other window was in the pantry and again we didn't want a window in the pantry. 


Since we don't have red clay (my Georgia friends), I would love a white house. The double doors will also be the natural wood to match the columns. As of now, we're not sure about shutters. What do y'all think? Love 'em. Hate 'em. Maybe it really doesn't matter. I think I will have to see how they look first and then decide. 

As of now, we still have not broke ground. We are waiting on power and a few others before this can happen. Stay with me as our story continues. I look forward to sharing with you all. 

2 comments:

Becky said...

We are looking at this exact house plan! I would love to talk to you about your process so far. If you have a minute, would you mind shooting me an email at becky.lane@me.com? We're in the Salisbury area, just north of Charlotte, and are planning to start building hopefully in the next year. This plan is probably our #1 pick right now.

Unknown said...

Becky, I am so sorry I am just now seeing your comment. If it's not too late, I would be happy to answer any questions. michelle.kranz@gmail.com