Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pizza night

At the Kranz house, we have pizza almost every Friday.  It's fun, it's easy, and there are so many different varieties.  Most importantly, we just like pizza.  I have been trying very hard to eat and cook a bit healthier, but I needed ideas.  After some research, I found this recipe.  Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust.  This recipe is not all whole wheat (as you can see).  During my research, I read the whole wheat crusts are a bit dry and hard to work with so I decided to use a recipe with all purpose flour as well. 

You will need to go directly to the site listed for the complete directions, but here are the ingredients you'll need: 

  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
The recipe has a few different steps, so it will take a while to complete the process.  Honestly, it might be better to make a head of time and keep in the fridge until you are ready to use it.  

The yeast has to activate in the warm water and sugar before you start adding the flour.    



Yes, this is a messy job.  It wasn't too bad.  

Once the flour has been added, you will have to wait for the dough to rise.  Even when the dough was ready to roll out, it was very wet.  This is where I had a hard time.  The dough was wet and sticky.  Every time I tried to roll it out, it stuck to my hands and the rolling pin.

 


My advice, (I will do this next time), make sure you have a bowl of extra flour off to the side to add to your hands, the rolling pin, and the counter or where ever you are working with your dough.  

 


Once it was rolled out, it was fairly easy to work with.  It was hard to get a perfectly round circle, but hey, this was my first try.  HA!

 

I used the entire recipe for one pizza crust which made a 'hand tossed' thickness.  If you like your pizza thin, you could easily separate the dough in to 2 pizzas.



I was very happy at this point.  The toppings are on and it's in the oven.

We like turkey pepperoni, black olives, and mozzarella cheese (or an Italian blend cheese).  Normally I have shredded, but we were out so I used sliced.   

 

 
 It turned out great.  The crust had very good flavor.  It was soft and fluffy, not to heavy.  I was really impressed with myself too!

I did try to flip it in the air, but failed miserably! HA! 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!!