Friday, November 09, 2012

Show Us Your Life ~ Side Dishes

Hey y'all!  Today is all about side dishes at Kelly's Korner.  Just as Kelly mentioned.  I feel like we have the same side dish ALL THE TIME.  Veggie and carb.  I have recently discovered, through my friend Melinda, a yummy green bean side dish.

The Pioneer Woman's fresh green beans.  These are so good, but I have to be honest and say I did change the recipe up a bit.  

DSC_0088 

Here is the her recipe (you will need to go to her site for the instructions):  

1 lb green beans
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons bacon grease (can substitute 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt (can substitute regular table salt; use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
Ground black pepper

As she suggested, I substituted butter instead of bacon grease.  We never have real bacon so I would never have bacon grease.  I have used frozen and fresh green beans and they are both yummy!  There is something about the chicken stock that gives the beans such good flavor and of course, if you use the bacon grease, well, that is even more flavor.  

Another one of my 'go to' side dishes is roasted vegetables.  You can use whatever you have and is in season.  I use red potatoes and carrots a lot.  Just throw your veggies on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe even some garlic powder, toss them around to make sure they are evenly coated.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes (some veggies take shorter or longer times).  Roasted veggies are so flavorful!  

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm looking forward to checking out your recipes too!  

No comments: