Sunday, February 26, 2012

Do you need to use the potty?

Since Christmas, we have been introducing Mason to the potty. We read books, talk about it, wear pull ups, etc. At first, Mason seemed interested, but we soon figured out he was just playing with the potty seat. Santa brought a really cool potty chair that sings, has a real handle you can flush, and a bar for the toilet paper. Well, it was more of a toy than a place where we 'do our business'.




So now, we have a Cars seat that we use on our big potty.
I have seen a difference in Mason since we started using this different seat. It's a reality now when we ask, "Mason, do you need to go potty?" He, of course, is not as excited. Sometimes he says yes and will sit there for 5 minutes or so and other times, he immediately say's, "NO, I not go potty". I, at first, was second guessing our choice to change seats, but, I think this is the right way for now.



We are trying to reward Mason every time he uses the potty. Right now, we are using stickers. We'll see how long this lasts. Whether he actually does anything or not (he hasn't yet). I have read several articles that says you should reward them no matter what. As long as he is making an effort. I also have read you should not force your child and take it slow. Mason has such a strong head, you can't force him anyway. I know, if we do, he will never want to use the potty. I'm a bit nervous though. He has to be completely potty trained by September or he will not be able to start preschool. I know, it's 6 months away! At the rate we're going, it's going to take that long! HA!!



Look at this face. He looks excited, doesn't he? HA!


No comments: